Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 1.1 (no bacon bits on salad?)

So my lovely roommate Bailey hears of my challenge and laughs and tells me she could never do it. As I prepare to leave the house she is cooking up some Fresno State Philly Cheese sausage with eggs...evil woman, it sounded extra good even though it was FSU just because I couldn't have it;) jk, but I sadly finished my cereal and left for class. THEN lunch has come round and Melissa my other roommates accompanies me to find some lunch at campus market. I look at what I usually would get (pulled pork sandwich, chicken pesto paninni, terayake chicken and veggie rice bowl...nope not today), I settle making salad which is fine with me I like colorful food. "hey Melis, can I eat eggs" "yes Britt that's not meat". I add spinach, cheese, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, i get to the end.."hey Melis can i get bacon bits?" "no Britt you can't" "WHAT!!!" since when can you not put bacon bits on salad its still a friggin' salad its not like I'm asking for a porterhouse on my lettuce, that hardly constitutes as a meat product...darn salads just became less exciting now that bacon is out of the picture...hmmph it begins

6 comments:

  1. http://www.generalmills.com/~/media/Images/Brands/Nutritional_Images/Betty_Crocker/Bacos/Bacos_Bits-308.ashx

    Follow this link. As you will see there is no meat in Baco bacon bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit, this is awesome and I am proud of you for crossing over and giving it a try. You are right, people cannot argue against something they know nothing about. So, right on, Brit! :) My advice: stay away from the imitation meat products. They are often crappy and since you probably won't be able to help but to compare it with the real deal, they will definitely disappoint and give a meat-lover like you a horrid meatless experience. There are so many tasty ingredients you can still use to create meals...whole grains, legumes, nuts, veggies (yaaaaaay), eggs...blah blah..
    Plus, you're already a good cook so this could be a fun challenge for you. I read a few vegetarian-athlete blogs that have delicious recipes on them, so I can pass them on if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out these blogs. There are recipes I know you would like :)
    *** http://www.neverhomemaker.com/
    http://thegspotrevolution.com/
    http://www.dailygarnish.com/
    http://ohsheglows.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britt crockpot a bag of lentils, sweet veggies (think orange bell peppers, carrots, sweet onions-grilled, etc), honey, 6 cups of veggie stalk, and garlic. It will be super yummy and then make corn bread!!! Super cheap and oh so filling! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete